Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Are You Proud of Your Country?

Authors Note: Essay explaining why I am proud of America.
Are you proud of your country? I am a proud U.S. citizen. The U.S. may have some flaws but it also has a lot of pros. We have freedom of speech, a democracy so we can pick who are president is. Also it has many great people who spend their free time helping others by volunteering.
If I wanted to say my opinion on the government in America I could. Unlike Cuba, where if you were to say anything about disliking the management of Cuba, harsh consequences would be brought upon the person who said it, even if their just a child! Being able to speak freely about my rights, and what I like.
Being able to pick who is the president my country is a very big deal. Being in a democracy is much better than being in a monarchy. If you are part of a monarchy you have no say about who is going to rule the country you live. It’s just the next person in line for the thrown, like for Queen Elizabeth the next person in line Prince William. I am very happy that I live in a country with a democracy.
“Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart,” was once said by Elizabeth Andrew. This quote speaks to me because 26% of Americans volunteer. Volunteering is like a chain effect, once one person starts, more and more join in. This past summer my sister went on a mission trip with my church, after I heard how many fun and helpful things they got to do for Manderson, the city they visited, like helping around their soup kitchen, painting a house, and babysitting.
America is an amazing place to live. There is no doubt that I am proud of my country. I am proud of the many wonderful people, to be able to speak freely, and I am proud of the democracy that sticks all of us together and makes the great U.S.A. I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t be proud of America, but I know that I will always be.

No comments:

Post a Comment