Friday, October 14, 2011

Cheerleading is a Sport

Authors note: persuasive essay on why cheerleading should be considered sport.
Throwing girls in the air about 10 feet and looking pretty while doing it, isn’t as easy as it looks. Most beginning cheerleaders thinks their supposed to do is yell things like “Go!” and, ”Win!” at football and basketball games. When I started I was defiantly rudely awakened when my first practice was only conditioning. Cheerleading should be considered a sport because it takes a lot of strength, flexibility, and an outstanding memory.
Before the school year in 2009 I became involved with cheerleading. I knew most of the cheers because my sister used to be a cheerleader. I had to go to many of her practices because my mom was one of the coaches. But for most girls hey had to start from scratch, and learn all of our 50 cheers with motions in a two week time frame. Trust me, it is extremely difficult.
You may not know what strength has to do with a “girly” sport. Strength is actually a huge part of stunting. Stunting is my favorite part of cheerleading. I am normally a base or a back; they are the people lifting the girl who is the flyer. All the stunts my squad does include having a hard core and muscular arms and legs to lift the flyer. If we didn’t have those
The most important part of cheerleading is flexibility. Some things in cheerleading require more flexibility than others. But either way you need to stretch out for at least ten minutes before trying to do things like the splits, scorpion, or heal stretch. Almost every cheerleader I know can do the splits. The most common splits are the right because most people are right handed/footed, which makes it easier to stretch.
Therefore Cheerleading should be considered a sport. Even though it’s a frilly activity, it should be considered a sport. I don’t get how throwing about 90 pound girls in the air isn’t considered a sport but throwing a 14 ounce egg shaped ball is. You may not consider cheerleading a sport now, but someday you will see that it takes a lot more strength, flexibility, and memory than most sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment